Monday, November 23, 2009

Silly Dayna, vanity is for kids!

I'm hiding from my friends.

And it's stupid.

And I need to stop.

See, the holidays are often the time of year when I reconnect with friends and family and former co-workers that I haven't seen in a while. This year, in particular, has been full of those long lost friendships that are sprouting again.

And it's truly, thoroughly, exciting for me. I have really missed some of my friends, and I cannot WAIT to see them again. To catch up on their lives and laugh over old times. Some of them have kids that I'm dying to meet and spoil. Some of them have married, and I am thrilled to meet their new spouses.

But... I keep putting it off. I've been putting some of them off since June.

Finding one excuse or another to wait until next month. Or the next month, Or the next to actually meet. I stall with emails and texts and phone calls and cards and presents, I stall with excuses (though true) about my busy work schedule and how much I travel for work.

But none of those reasons are the truth.

The truth is...

It's because I'm afraid I haven't lost 'enough'.


I told you.



Stupid.


It's just, with such a public (and controversial) weight loss battle on my blog, on facebook, etc, I feel like there are tremendous... expectations.

It's one of the reasons I've moved most of my journey to this blog or private emails, and away from other forums.

Because I've figured out that normal, healthy people, do NOT understand the concept how 'pounds' lost actually equates to what I LOOK like.

I've lost over 130 pounds. That's a BIG number to the average person, who maybe weighs 150.

It's just, inconceivable to most. People hear that and think... miraculous transformation. They envision me wasting away now in a size 0. when someone loses 130 pounds on 'The Biggest Loser' they get their own clothing line and their on the cover of magazines.

Because in my experience 'fat' to normal people starts at about 185 pounds and stops at about 250, MAYBE 300 on a show like the Biggest Loser. Everyone over that is just 'huge'. They stop quantifying at that point.

So when I say I've lost 130 pounds, that MUST bring me into runway model weight range, right?

Wrong.

What's funny is that I'm still OVER 250 pounds. I carry my weight fairly well because of my height (5'9") so though most people knew I was very heavy, they had no idea that I was OVER 400 pounds at the time of surgery.

When your starting point is 400 pounds, 130 just... ISN'T... as big of a transformation as it sounds.

I mean health-wise it's amazing. As I mentioned, my surgeon told me I've gained 15 years of life already. But I'm still a 'big' woman.

And I'm afraid that these long lost friends will be... underwhelmed... by my progress.

Which is vain.

And not Christlike.

But I'll be darned if I don't feel it every time I talk to them about meeting up, and this blog is somewhere that I'm supposed to be honest, so I will be.

And to be honest, that superficial part of me is terrified of not meeting expectations. I want them to be surprised, not disappointed. I want my Jenny Jones 'I used to be fat' moment.

So I've been hiding, thinking that 20 more pounds will be enough to be comfortable seeing them. But then that 20 pounds comes and goes and it just wasn't as dramatic as I thought it would be, and I start thinking 'Maybe January... in January I'll probably be solidly into a size 16...'

And in January I'll think that if I can just hold off until March I'll be in a size 14 which is 'regular' sized clothes, and won't that be neat? I'll wait for March.

And then, lets say that I can bypass this insane line of thinking and tell myself that they don't CARE whether I've reached my goal weight or not, and they don't care what I look like.

See, then the second line of defense kicks in. I've also been avoiding showing my progress because... because I'm afraid it won't be permanent.

The truth is that many weight loss surgery patients gain some, or ALL, of the weight back because they don't change their habits, and eventually your stomach stretches enough to eat too many calories again.

And though I know that my life has changed drastically, I also know that I still have to fight food cravings everyday. I have to fight overeating at every MEAL, for that matter. It's a conscious daily battle.

And to tell you the truth, I don't have a great reputation for being all that consistent or dependable. It's all exciting now to see the pounds come off, but will I be this dedicated in a year? In 3? In 5?

And if I might gain it back... wouldn't it be better if my friends never saw this lower weight? Then it's like I've failed twice, instead of just once. They already picture me as fat right now, and it might be a LOT safer to leave them thinking that way until I get to my goal weight and I know I can maintain it for a while.

Definitely. So I'll just wait for that. Let's see, about a year to get to my goal weight, and then at least 10-12 months of maintenance...

So I can start seeing these old friends and long-distance family about... Christmas of 2011.

...


Get my drift? I've got some crazy thoughts going on in here.

And that's kind of an 'aha' moment.

Because I guess I thought that my insecurities would melt away with the pounds, you know? As I became less abnormal, as I started to fit in more, then I would feel more confident.

I guess I thought that my confidence issues were BECAUSE of my weight.

But I'm starting to figure out that...maybe...those issues aren't so related to the reflection in the mirror or the number on the scale.

In fact, I'm starting to wonder if maybe it was the other way around and the weight was because of the issues.

That just may be a bigger problem then...

No surgery to fix that.

Hmmm... Some thinking and praying to do methinks.

6 comments:

  1. As a friend I am going to tell you this. I know you maybe worried about gaining some weight back or all of it for that matter. And it is sick to think that all of us in one way or another care what other people thinks. (Now Im getting to my point) Dayna Im telling you this right now here in Cyber-space so all the world can read it (and Im sure lots would agree with me) even IF IF!!! You gain some weight or all of your weight back you are perfect no matter what you look like. Your personality shines bright and there is nothing on this earth more beautiful then that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is one of my goals to tell everyone I can what I'm about to tell you: tell yourself not to care so much about what other people think. You will free up a lot of space in your brain once you stop thinking, "Oh, what if she thinks I'm whatever" or "I can't do that, what if he thinks it means I blah." Until we develop telepathy, we are never going to know what people are thinking about us unless they share it. I stopped caring about such trivialities years ago and it has made a huge difference. Sure, sometimes it means I walk around wearing mismatched clothes or look like an idiot in front of customers, but as long as I'm comfortable and getting things accomplished, what does it matter what they think? If your friends obsess over your appearance, then maybe they aren't such good friends. Or if they aren't impressed by your looks, well, what do they know? It's not like they put in the work you did to lose all that weight. I'm not trying to rag on your friends, I'm just trying to give you a little perspective. As your friend, I'm very proud of you for taking charge of your health and losing all the weight.
    And try not to obsess over the future or what people might think of you then, especially if things change unfavorably for some reason. As Yoda said, "Always in motion is the future." We can't see what's coming, we can only deal with it when it gets here. So trust me, let go of those thoughts. There are more interesting things to think about. Like how awesome I think you are. And how you are totally hilarous and how I miss hanging out with you. And how much fun you had making me over that one time because I can't dress myself to save my life.
    - Jo
    Gotta run, I've got some filing that needs to get done! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an awesome writer you are! Weight and how you look has NOTHING to do with that! I love how you can put everything into words in a way that can really reach people. Im so impressed by you, even if you are my daughter and I'm definately partial and biased and oh soooooo proud! :p)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dayna, I love you! I loved you when you were 130 pounds heavier, and I will love you no matter what you weigh, I am proud that you are able to document this so openly, because I don’t think I’m that strong, and have the same insecurities that you have voiced here but do not have the courage to even admit that I have a weight issue that I cannot solve myself. I love you! Thank you for sharing this journey of yours with me! Please don’t let your goal get in the way of your friendships, we all love you for who you are, not how much you weighed, now, in the past or in the future! I know no one who would consider you a failure, let alone think you had failed twice if the weight does not stay off. Congratulations on all that you’ve done and everything still to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want you to know that although we all keep congratulating on your weight loss, it's not because we love you more or think you "look better" because of the weight loss...We know that you will be healthier and with us longer because of the health benefits...Regardless of how you "look" you have always, and will always, be beautiful to us, to me! Love ya girl, Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dayna,
    I think this post is beautiful and brave. There aren't many of us fatties out here who have the courage to take the journey you're taking, let alone do it in public. You are being rooted on by people in so many places. Here's the thing, like has already been stated, you are loved no matter what. That's the beauty of God. You never have to meet anyone else's expectations of you. He loves you and the people who love him also love you. What a gift we've all been given. I know more than anything it's about what is going on in your head. I get it. I still hear the fat girl talking when you're talking about insecurities. I would guess this is going to be the hardest part of the journey. No one wants a "skinny" girl who thinks like a "fat" girl. She's no fun at the gatherings. :) I DREAM of the day I can say I've lost 130 pounds (and I'd still be fat). Be so proud and humbled by what you've accomplished. You've done more than I've been able to do in all of my years of fatness. I want to be around you and absorb all that is you in hopes of finding the inspiration to make the changes in my life I need to make. You keep going. See your friends. Let them love on you and encourage you and give you strength to keep going. Let them be jealous :). You've accomplished more in losing 130 pounds than most of them will ever achieve in their lifetimes (even if you're still "fat"). You will be a blessing to them! Be encouraged. There are many rooting you on out here!

    ReplyDelete